Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Doubt/ Prelude to Pennsylvania


I'm in my school's library looking out the window, watching people washing in & out through the doors like waves upon the seaside. I recall my daily train rides high above the city, my eyes bound to streets so filled that they begin to look like living a living type of concrete, instrumental & alive, while the sound of humanity reeks through double-pained windows.
When I first moved here, I would sit in amazement of it all: the music, the pace, the people with their noisy boots & finely pressed black business suits. The wind would sweep through the inner workings of the city as it blew stark. cold & splendid, winding its way through alleys and bouncing off buildings. If you listened you could hear saxophones breathing their way out of the downtown subway stations. Silence never fell upon glorious Chicago---once a living entity full of hope for wily possibilities. But now heavy dreams fall empty & dead across my chest like shadows against the sun.
Everyday here had been lather, rinse, repeat. Becca and I would go over to Wicker Park, in Chicago. We had friends that lived above the 'Easy' bar. Rain, sleet, snow, shine, we were there. Countless, sleepless nights were spent in that living room. We watched shows like 'Willow' & 'Labyrinth,' and never ceased to invest ourselves in intelligent conversations about certain non-existent presidents of Hawaii, which would inevitably all end up with us bawling our eyes out in a chest full of laughter. We "lived" there, literally. We were the dream team, the Witch's of Eastwick, and the members of the First Wives Club, due to the varying colors of each of our hair.
Life was good; we were a small family, and we loved each other.
But within a week, both our friends had split up and moved out. Chels moved back to her hometown of Pittsburgh, PA, while her now-ex, Ryan moved to Florida to further his bmx career.
Our small family dissipated within two small days. & although the memories will stay, it left me wanting, needing more out of the city, needing a small salvation that I know I'll find somewhere, someday....perhaps out of the blue.
In the meantime, this is where I'll post my everyday adventures (exciting or otherwise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment